Presidents of the Haralson County Historical Society (continued)
Mr. Barry Newman -- Fourth President
Mr. Newman was our president during the 1980s and 1990s. So far, he is the only gentleman to serve in our highest office.
Mrs. Peggy Kimball -- Fifth President
Originally (but no longer) our presidents could not serve consecutive terms, so Mrs. Kimball and Mr. Newman alternated in the office. After the change, Mrs. Kimball served continuously as president for most of a decade, retiring from the office in 2004. The Historic Courthouse was finally re-opened to the public during her administration. An hour-long video celebrating this achievement can be viewed via the Internet. Read more here.
During Mrs. Kimball's tenure, the society was honored by a 2003 Preservation Award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, as well as by two Georgia State Senate resolutions, in April 2003 and May 2004. To recognize her many contributions, Mrs. Kimball was awarded the newly created title of County Family Historian by the Society after her retirement.
Mrs. Karen Higgins -- Sixth President
Mrs. Higgins assumed the presidency in 2004 and has been re-elected twice. During her administration, the Society reprinted the book History of Haralson County (1978/1984) and published a new book, Haralson County Cemeteries (2004). The Society also acquired the Sanford-Wade Heritage House and supported relocation/ restoration of the Little Creek School House. It celebrated the sesquicentennials of Haralson County (1856-2006) and its county seat, Buchanan (1857-2007). The Society's website dramatically expanded, and a portion of it, The 1856 Handbook, won a 2007 award from the Georgia Historical Society.